Point Omega - Don DeLillo

The true Life takes place when we're alone, thinking, feeling, lost in memory, dreamingly self-aware, the submicroscopic moments

Point Omega is not the first novel I try by Dellilo. I started White noise and 10% in I wondered what’s all the fuss about. When I finished Point Omega I realized what’s all the fuss about.

Point Omega is a postmodern novel by excellence. It is chaos. It is an accumulation of nonsense, but a sort of nonsense that keeps me up late at night to finish it.

The narrator does not know what he is doing or why he is doing what he is doing. He transitions from a city-life, to an outer-time existence, or rather to a “slow-movement” existence in order to film an old man who does not want to have anything to do with films but who still accepts to have some company in nowhere. After Jessie, the daughter of the old man, arrives things become complicated and the story finishes with an “anonymous” conclusion. (I may seem to be talking nonsense myself to those who have not read the novel).

The novel ends with no real conclusion, none said, but what makes the novel really interesting is that one can guess what happened within all the nonsense, what happens is: an encounter that finished badly.