The Blade Itself #1 - Joe Abercrombie, Chuck Dixon, Andie Tong, Pete Pantazis, Bill Tortolini

Glokta: Why am I doing this?

Jezal: why should I do this?

Logan: I am still alive!

Ferro: fuck you all.

Bayaz: This is amusing.

If you do not like violent killings and graphic mutilations do not read this novel. It seems to be one of these novels that one either likes or hates, and I really loved this novel.

The narration is good. It is not a boring/descriptive novel. Sarcasm, irony, and hidden meanings render this novel more entertaining, especially that the author knows how word his meaning.

Expect in The Blade Itself to meet various characters. Each has their own problems and worries. They belong to various places, yet the author succeeds at bringing (almost) all of them together. Even though the author succeeds at gathering them in one place, and even though the way they meet makes sense, I still didn’t like that we had to follow too many characters. I loved some and hated others, so when I had to switch to certain characters, it was as if the good stuff was shopped into pieces.

I particularly did not like the end at all. It’s like if the events suddenly stop. This seemed to have a commercial aim to it. It makes one to want more and to get it asap, but it was a bit of a putt off for me. The fact that there was no real closure, and just an interruption of events, was a very bad way (imo) to end the novel because it was really great (and I guess that’s why it was so) but the lack of closure just ruins the whole thing for me.